Monday, August 2, 2010

Ignorant Shit Teenagers Say

"To me, Republicans and Democrats are both just trying to screw me out of my money, and I don't see a difference between them."

This is one of those things you say when you're 16 and know everything, even though you've never looked at the tangled mess of insanity that is the political system and Congress and Senate and the electoral college and you just wanna sound so goddamn smart, you throw out a saying like this that makes you sound sensible, tough, and wise beyond your years.

Except this is the dumbest statement in the world because 

A- If you can honestly consider Republicans - the same ones who enstated tax cuts to privelaged white people - identical to Democrats - the ones who are fighting to stop such selfish, greedy actions like these - you obviously are utterly fucking ignorant to the entire political system (which is why you say the prior statement), and 

B- this kind of pluralistic ignorance that assumes every aspect of politics is just an act to 'screw you out of your money' is pretty much 100% a Republican mantra, as Republicans are the ones obsessed with squabbling over every fucking penny they can find, therefore ironically placing you on their side by burying your head in the sand. By saying both sides want your money, you're placing more power in rich white conservatives taking more from the underprivelaged.

The worst thing about it is that those who aren't teenagers usually fall into the lower class, and this results in more circular logic. Both sides are screwing me over because I refused to pick a side and therefore Republicans did what they wanted, signed more tax cuts for the filthy fucking rich, so I'm not going to bother with politics because they're just going to screw me over. 

So when someone says ""To me, Republicans and Democrats are both just trying to screw me out of my money, and I don't see a difference between them.""

What they mean is, "I don't like politics because it makes me think - just do what you want, leave me out of it, I'm too busy prepping my head to be buried to notice what the most financially powerful and rich people in the world are deciding what's best for me. So instead of a political opinion I'm just going to throw this easy phrase at you that makes me sound smart."

No comments:

Post a Comment